Monday, May 5, 2008

Departure Day

Hooray! We are mid-air on our way to our first stop - the South Pacific paradise of Rarotonga, Cook Islands. We'll be staying at Rarotonga Backpackers hostel as we while away 6 days swimming in the coral reef lagoons, hiking in the tropical jungle, and of course eating loads of papaya and coconuts. We are really looking forward to it.

We'll probably just stay on the main island of Rarotonga the whole time... a couple of beach bums. I bought a waterproof enclosure for my little Canon, and so if I'm brave enough to immerse my new camera (eek!) I should have some fantastic photos of the tropical fish to post in few days. Of course, the islands are supposed to be beautiful above water as well.

We just finished up visiting Justin's family in Oklahoma, and my family in Kansas City and fortunately got to visit with most everyone before we left. Spring has sprung and it is just beautiful in both places. It's been a long time since we've been there in spring so it was great to see again.

We're flying out of OKC through LAX (as I type this in fact!) One of the great trip gadgets that we got is an ultra-compact PC - the Nokia N800. For my Agilent friends: the N800 has an Arm processor, runs linux, great battery life and power mgmt, NO FAN and only weighs 8ozs :) impressive, huh?

We'll that's all for now. The internet on the Cooks may not be so accessible (the tubes are narrow there - haha.) So I'll post again in the next few days.

After that we'll be touring NZ for a full 3 months... more on that later :)

Cheers,
Christina

5 comments:

D. LaFerry said...

Wow! Cook Islands! If you post good pictures of fish, I may have to nab some for textile designs!! :)

The N800 sounds like the ultimate laptop to take with you on your bike... since I've been bicycling to work lately, I keep thinking of ways to lighten my load. Makes going uphill much faster.

Bon voyage et bon journee - can't wait to read your next post... and I'm sorry I missed you in OKC, but I'm sure Rollin sent my greetings and thank you for the return skirt - I hadn't been wearing it, but now it seems new again.

Take care, guys!

Lily said...

YAY! I just got off of the phone with you - and you're just about to leave LAX. You two will have so much fun and I really can't wait to see all of your postings.
As I said before, I demand at least one photo of the two of you on the beach within your first 48hrs of being in Rarotonga!!
p.s. Stephen is trying to talk Pertwee back into the cage so he can close it up for the night. He really likes to sit on the door even after we turn the lights off and everyone else starts competing for sleeping spots. Quite stubborn ;)

Christina said...

Thanks for the good wishes :)

We're sorry we missed you in Norman too - but it was fun to catch up with Agamaxerxes, "the dude" and his wife (haha)

Roberta said...

I'm soooo jealous.A nice sunny, warm, clear, beautiful beach. Maybe next year. Congratualtions, your journey has begun. Needless to say ENJOY.....

Carina said...

Hope the papaya and coconut have, erm, agreed with you. =)

Those tropical diets are supposed to be healthy, though, right?