Thursday, November 27, 2008

Singapore was Great!

Hi all,

We're back in Australia after a week in Singapore, where we really enjoyed ourselves! Everything was decorated for Christmas and very festive. Also Singapore is truly a food paradise - we indulged in a different cuisine for every meal: Malaysian, various Chinese styles, North and South Indian, Thai, Japanese, and even Egyptian! Yum. Plus lots of snacks - avocado milkshakes, pork buns, bubble tea, kaya toast, fried bananas and lots and lots of iced coffee.

When we weren't busy eating, we went to three animal parks where I got to hold a vulture, feed lorikeets and elephants (not at the same time!) The rest of the time we just walked all over taking in the sights and local colors. We stayed in the Little India neighborhood which was a lot of fun and very lively. We had a great time and hope to get back there again.





In other news, we've decided at the last minute to bail on Western Australia and to instead drive to Queensland to reduce our driving. We really want to see WA someday, but it's just going to have to be on another trip.

We've been too busy (and too hot!) to write any more posts yet, but I'll get some current ones up soon. What did you think of the last three posts? I can't believe I haven't gotten any comments on the "Arf burger" yet?!! haha.

9 comments:

Lily said...

Where's the full photo set?! The two photos you posted are great! I'm not showing the keets the photo of you with the parrots - they might just attack my laptop. ;)

I never got to see little India - in S'pore. Sounds like a lot of fun!


P.S. I was left speechless after reading about the ARF burger lol

Lily said...

Oh and I completely understand bailing out on WA. Australia is just so big...and it would be better to really see more of one half of the continent than to try racing around the whole place.

Are you going to Tasmania??? I just don't think you can pass it up. I also would like to live vicariously through you and read your blog about going there!!! I ordered brochures from the University in Hobart years ago - It looks fun!
I also can't wait to see your blog for the rainforests in Queensland. They have really cool inns there!

Carey said...

Your bird photo is beautiful. They are so RED. Where did you go to see the elephants? More bird pics please?

Lily said...

The other night I had a dream that I had one of those parrots in your photo. I was quite worried about how jealous Kiwi would be! phew - I was happy when I woke up and didn't have to tell Kiwi that she had some competition! haha

D. LaFerry said...

oh you're so cute with the lorikeets! and an elefriend! yay!

had a quiet / crazy thanksgiving with rollin out of town in france, where he did off-continent thanksgiving with our french group of pals there. also i finally rented "How to Get Ahead in Advertising." funny movie! i love all the quotes about the ad industry. thanks for the recommendation... am halfway thru totoro. did you buy your last house because of that big bunch of trees or what!? :) see any soot sprites?

Christina said...

The full photoset will be coming soon - haven't had time or enough connection to upload them all :)

Christina said...

yep - we were sad to leave out WA - but we made the right decision, Queensland is gorgeous. So green and lush, a wonderful antidote to the dry, desert.

Christina said...

oh - poor kiwi! I miss my birdies, but I have a lot of wild parrots and others to entertain me here.

It was funny to see the lorikeets in the zoo in Singapore when they are in almost every tree in Australia :)

Justin said...

We didn't buy our house completely because of the trees, but they didn't hurt! Whenever we see a particularly magnificent tree, I think of Totoro. NZ was full of such trees...