Friday, June 27, 2008

Cape Reinga Tramp Day 4: No Longer Beasts of Burden

I wake up in the early pre-dawn and lie quietly in my sleeping bag. Christina is still asleep. Through the mosquito netting that makes up half of our tent, I see at least a couple of dozen mosquitoes buzzing about quietly, hiding under the rain fly. They drift back and forth across the netting, trying desperately to get into the tent. I suppose the heat which we are putting off is visible to them from that distance and that they have spent the whole night wandering back and forth searching for a door into bloodsucker's paradise.

With true dawn comes the chorus of a few birds. The mosquitoes eventually go away, and we strike camp, eat a few more cereal bars, then walk on the beach. It's a gorgeous, sunny morning and I can almost forget just how disgusting I feel after sweating and stumbling through the muck for the last 3 days.

It's nearly noon, so we head back to the park entrance and wait for our ride. He shows promptly, and it's back to Waitiki Landing. We clear up the bill, buy an ice-cream cone, then are off down the Peninsula as reasonably fast as the van will go, glad to be driving and not walking the 100+ kilometers.

2 comments:

Carina said...

Ah, but the question is, could the guy who gave you the ride "forget how disgusting [you] feel after sweating and stumbling through the muck for the last 3 days."

I suppose he's used to it.

I really love that you've started including pictures. It's much easier than switching back over to Flickr and trying to find the exact place. I like going later and looking at all the Flickr images in one sitting.

Christina said...

thanks for the feedback regarding the inline photos. I'll try to keep adding some photos to posts :)

and trust me, the owner of Waitiki Landing was not one to be picky about appearances. He looked like he'd been out wrestling cattle since dawn! (and to be fair, he probably had)