Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Long Lost Update (brought to you by camel)

Beamed up by aliens? Kidnapped by pirates? Adopted by Madonna? What else could explain our bewildering lack of blog posts? Alas, the only excuse we have is being too busy gathering material for the blog with a good dash of general laziness :)
We are currently in Egypt staying with my parents (I could write a book about how wonderful it is to have a temporary "home".) In between taxi rides and foul sandwiches ("foul" is like refried beans) we're having a great time being overwhelmed by the quality and quantity of ancient Egyptian ruins and artifacts. And even though I'm not exactly a dead-ringer for Lara Croft, I'm having fun playing the amateur archaeologist and I just might write the next post in hieroglyphics! Alas we will be back on the road in two weeks for the last leg of our trip in Europe and the UK. For now here are a couple photos (with many more waiting to be uploaded):


here we are at Medinat Habu in Thebes (Luxor) - the memorial temple of Rameses III



and this is in front of the step pyramid of Saqqara with my parents. We can see this pyramid from our balcony!

8 comments:

Carina said...

Well, we've missed you, but we all assumed that if you'd stepped off into a bottomless rice paddy we would be notified somehow. It appears I should've been worrying about you being eaten by the Mummy King instead.

We look forward to talking with you sometime soon, and getting information and anecdotes first hand.

Say hello to Lara for me. Have her teach you that swinging over the fire pit trick.

Lily said...

WOW!! I can't believe my eyes - Is this really a new post?! You mean it's not Christina's birthday anymore? haha
You all look great but you're missing 2 people! I'm so jealous that Stephen and aren't there to be in the pyramid photos with you all! We're missing out!!

Lily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lily said...

i just know you let out some kind of BubbaHotep when you were at the pyramids!! Just don't bring him home!

D. LaFerry said...

hey guys! love this long lost blog post! looks like egypt was fun for you guys...

we're getting ready to fly off to hawaii tomorrow, but will be back by early august... hope to see you two this fall?

Franchesca said...

Can you believe I found your blog again? *laughs* Even more amazing, I have my own here. Funny how that works. I think about you often. I visted Houston last month and it's impossible not to think of you when I go back. You should really be ok Facebook, although considering you aren't updating this, I doubt Facebook would have any more success. I hope you're still well (since it's the end of August instead of June) but you guys look great and I will forever be jealous of th kind of courage it took to take this trip. It's simply amazing everything you get to see.

Maria said...

A little late on the uptake here!These are memories you will draw on when "real" life seems too complicated.Awesome!! We hear you are heading back soon~ Perhaps a stop in NYC for some American culture shock? XO, The McFalls

Alex and Russ said...

Remembered your blog title and thought we'd look you up! don't know if you ever read back over your blog though, so won't hold my breath for a reply! Hope those memories are as fresh as ours; it really does change your life, doesn't it. Hope you chaps are keeping well and happy.

Alexis & Russell James, UK. (we met at Cairns Crystal Cascades campsite, in the kitchen area with the peacock!).